The football world’s gossip mill is in full swing, and Transfer Talk is monitoring the whispers ahead of all the summer moves. Check out the latest deals and potential deals here.
Chelsea’s Conte pushes for summer spending spree
Antonio Conte may have guided Premier League leaders Chelsea to the FA Cup final, but he is “demanding that the club go on a summer spending spree” as he looks to keep the momentum going next season, according to the Mirror.
It says Conte has “made it clear the squad needs major reinforcements” and that despite being on course to win the league and FA Cup Double in his first season at Stamford Bridge, he believes heavy investment is needed.
The coach has two main targets, Everton’s former Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku and Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk. Those two, the Mirror says, “would cost in excess of £120 million” — but Conte feels Chelsea “must go for it to build long-term success.”
With stalwart defender John Terry leaving at the end of the season and speculation continuing to link Eden Hazard with a move to Real Madrid, Conte has said he is determined to bring in the “right players” as he continues “building something important.”
Three-way battle for Silva service
Most of the talk surrounding a likely departure from Monaco has, unsurprisingly, centred on the prolific Kylian Mbappe, but he’s not the only one interesting the big hitters.
There will be a three-way scrap for midfielder Bernardo Silva with Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid doing the scrapping, the Sun reports, adding that Madrid president Florentino Perez is “already holding talks with Monaco chiefs.”
Silva, 22, is reported to be rated at £70 million by Monaco and has been a key component of their twin challenges for the Ligue 1 title and Champions League glory.
The Portugal international has previously said Spain and England are “the best” and that “of course I dream one day to be there.”
Darmian uncertain about United future
Matteo Darmian could be on his way out of Old Trafford, with the Manchester Evening News reporting that the Italy international is unsure about his future.
The Manchester United right-back could soon be out of the picture as manager Jose Mourinho moves to shake up his defensive options.
The Evening News cites reports in Italy that Darmian is again being linked with a return to Serie A, with Juventus having been named as a potential destination earlier this year.
It also says the fact that Antonio Valencia is established at right-back and United are “expected to bring in a specialist at left-back” — where Darmian has made many of his appearances this season — has “sparked increased speculation that his time in Manchester could be coming to a close.”
– Mamadou Sakho has been making a difference at Crystal Palace, and boss Sam Allardyce is keen to make his loan move from Liverpool permanent once the Eagles are mathematically certain of staying in the Premier League.
The Sun reports that Allardyce will begin talks with the 27-year-old, who sat out Palace’s win at Anfield on Sunday under the terms of the loan deal, as soon as possible.
– A win over Preston on Monday will see Newcastle United return to the Premier League — and manager Rafa Benitez is targeting Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney as he looks to strengthen for the challenges ahead.
Cairney, rated at £10 million, has starred for Fulham as they close in on a place in the Championship playoffs and has been regularly monitored by Newcastle this season, according to the Mirror. But Bournemouth and Burnley are also interested.