The football world is awash with gossip. Transfer Talk is monitoring the whispers ahead of all the summer moves. Check out the latest deals and potential deals here.
TOP STORY: Chelsea eye Rose amid impasse over targets
They face off at the weekend in a London derby at Wembley and Tottenham are favourites to pile more misery on rivals Chelsea, but the Sun reports the Blues are plotting to make a move for Danny Rose next week.
The story reports that the England international, who voiced his discontent at his low wages compared to players at other clubs inside the top six, will cost £50 million.
— Neil Henderson (@hendopolis) August 15, 2017
The news is likely to put an end to Chelsea’s summerlong pursuit of Alex Sandro. Juventus are determined to keep hold of the Brazilian after selling star centre-back Leonardo Bonucci to AC Milan, which has pushed the Blues to consider Rose as an alternative in search of competition for Marcos Alonso at left wing-back.
The links come amid reports that Chelsea brass and manager Antonio Conte are currently in a standoff over transfer targets, with club hierarchy resisting requests to sign older players, according to The Times.
The report says Conte is only looking to defend his Premier League title this season, while the club is taking a longer view before spending “significant sums of money on experienced players with little resale value.”
18.32 BST: Arsenal defender Gabriel is set to join Valencia.
The Mirror reckons the Brazilian has failed to settle in England and will return to La Liga in a £10m deal.
18.15 BST: Ben Gibson is a reported transfer target for West Brom, but Middlesbrough manager Garry Monk has made it clear he won’t let the defender go easily.
“We don’t have to sell anyone, we don’t want to sell anyone,” Monk said. “That’s been made very clear by the owner and that’s the same message by me. We are just looking forward to the season ahead.”
17.40 BST: Things are hotting up in Serie A, where dominoes are slowly falling into place for Juventus and AC Milan.
Matuidi to Juve, Kalinic to Milan, Simeone to Fiorentina. Busy Wednesday in Serie A
— James Horncastle (@JamesHorncastle) August 16, 2017
17.15 BST: Multiple reports claim that Manchester City want to sign West Brom captain Jonny Evans.
That would be an interesting move for Evans to make considering he came through Manchester United’s academy and won the Premier League three times while a player at Old Trafford.
16.40 BST: Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger has told PA Sport that Virgil van Dijk is “not for sale in this window” as keeping the defender is “the statement we need to make.”
The Netherlands international, who handed in a transfer request earlier this month, has been linked with Liverpool and Chelsea.
16.15 BST: Blaise Matuidi has arrived at Juventus for his medical ahead of completing his move from Paris Saint-Germain. Full story.
— JuventusFC (@juventusfc) August 16, 2017
16.04 BST: Brighton have confirmed that record-signing Jose Izquierdo has been granted a work permit by the Football Association. Full story.
— BHAFC ⚽️ (@OfficialBHAFC) August 16, 2017
15.39 BST: Tottenham remain locked in talks with Ajax over Davinson Sanchez, sources have told ESPN FC, but the defender has been named in the Dutch club’s squad for Thursday’s Europa League playoff against Rosenborg. Full story.
15.23 BST: DONE DEAL Fulham have announced the signing of Sheyi Ojo on loan from Liverpool for the season… Full story.
CONFIRMED: The Club is delighted to announce the signing of @sheyi_ojo from Liverpool on a season-long loan ✍️
— Fulham Football Club (@FulhamFC) August 16, 2017
15.19 BST: The Guardian is reporting that Juventus have agreed a deal to sign Blaise Matuidi from Paris Saint-Germain and will pay £18.2 million plus add-ons for the France international.
15.03 BST: Max Gradel is to leave Bournemouth and join Toulouse on loan, L’Equipe reports. The former St Etienne man is keen to return across the Channel, the French sports daily claims.
14.47 BST: Chelsea are going to have to stump up the cash for Danny Drinkwater if they want to sign the Leicester midfielder, the Daily Telegraph claims. The Foxes value Drinkwater at £40 million, with the Premier League champions so far only having bid as high as £25m.
14.33 BST: Marco Asensio‘s agent has revealed that Barcelona “lost the opportunity” to sign the Real Madrid player as a teenager due to a disagreement over payment terms with his former club Real Mallorca. Full story.
14.13 BST: Everton boss Ronald Koeman has just revealed at his news conference that Gylfi Sigurdsson has completed his medical ahead of a £45 million move from Swansea…
RK says Sigurdsson had his medical this morning. “I heard from the doctor there was no prob.”
— Phil Medlicott (@pgmedlicott) August 16, 2017
14.06 BST: Anthony Vanden Borre hopes to play top-level football again and is working to get fit, despite reports the Belgium international had hung up his boots. “I still dream and we’ll see… I love competition,” he said. Full story.
13.43 BST: Ousmane Dembele has apparently been snapped loading up a car full of bags and suitcases… Cue inevitable speculation that the Borussia Dortmund man is on his way to Barcelona to complete his transfer…
BOMBA!! Última imagen (BILD) de Dembélé esta noche a las 20:30 h. en un coche lleno de bolsas y maletas. Se desconoce destino. pic.twitter.com/nKIO31KcxL
— Marta Morales (@MartaMoralesL) August 15, 2017
13.33 BST: U.S. international Christian Pulisic has said he is happy at Borussia Dortmund amid renewed speculation he could join Liverpool. “I’ll lay it on the line for you: I am not thinking about changing clubs,” he said. Full story.
13.20 BST: Burton Albion manager Nigel Clough has laughed off talk of Usain Bolt joining the Championship club after chairman Ben Robinson claimed this week they could offer the sprint legend a trial…
“I didn’t know he [the chairman] picked the players, he’ll have to come down and spend 10 minutes in the technical area and see how he goes,” he told Sky Sports. “Would that be a loan or permanent? I’m not quite sure. He would certainly add some pace. As long as he doesn’t want much money I’m sure we will be OK.”
13.08 BST: Following Jese Rodriguez’s move to Stoke, sources have told ESPN FC that Paris Saint-Germain are planning to offload up to five more players before the transfer window closes…
Blaise Matuidi, Lucas Moura, Serge Aurier, Hatem Ben Arfa and Grzegorz Krychowiak could all be sold, with Matuidi in talks with Juventus and Lucas attracting interest from Roma and Liverpool. Full story.
12.54 BST: Kevin-Prince Boateng could be set for a swift move following the mutual termination of his contract with Las Palmas… “He’s certainly on our radar,” Eintracht Frankfurt coach Niko Kovac told Bild of Boateng. “We lost [Marco] Fabian [with a back injury] and are scouting the market.”
12.27 BST: Gylfi Sigurdsson is reportedly set to complete his move from Swansea to Everton for £45 million later today — and if he does, his former club Tottenham are set to bank 10 percent of the transfer fee, sources have told ESPN FC. Full story.
12.05 BST: DONE DEAL Carlos Bacca is returning to La Liga after completing a season-long loan move to Villarreal from AC Milan. The deal includes an option to buy for the Spanish side. Full story.
— Villarreal CF (@VillarrealCF) August 16, 2017
11.41 BST: Las Palmas have just announced that they have reached an agreement to terminate Kevin-Prince Boateng‘s contract due to “personal reasons.” Full story.
— UD Las Palmas (@UDLP_Oficial) August 16, 2017
11.20 BST: Arsenal have turned down Deportivo La Coruna’s latest bid of €12 million for forward Lucas Perez, according to the player’s agent. Full story.
11.03 BST: West Ham have hit a stumbling block in their pursuit of Sporting Lisbon’s William Carvalho, The Sun claims. The Hammers have reportedly seen their club-record bid of £36 million rejected, with Sporting holding out for £40m for the midfielder.
10.41 BST: The agent of Lazio midfielder Keita Balde has accused the Serie A club of disrespecting his client after he was left out of their squad for last weekend’s Supercoppa Italia. Keita, who is attracting attention from both Juventus and Tottenham, did not even make the bench for Sunday’s 3-2 win over Juve. Full story.
10.19 BST: Back now to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, who has admitted there has been no progress on Alexis Sanchez‘s contract talks but said the sporting benefit of keeping him at the club outweighs the financial profit of selling him. “I think I prioritise the fact that he will be useful on the sporting side,” he said. Full story.
10.10 BST: Things could be about to turn ugly in the Philippe Coutinho saga, with the Daily Mirror reporting that the midfielder has told Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp that he will not play for the club again in a bid to force through a move to Barcelona.
09.57 BST: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger also spoke at today’s news conference about the future of Jack Wilshere, who has been linked with an exit from the club…
Wenger says Wilshere’s future is “at the moment” at Arsenal. “I plan for him to be here for the whole season.”
— Mattias Karén (@MattiasKaren) August 16, 2017
09.37 BST: Emre Mor‘s transfer to Inter Milan has “collapsed for now,” according to Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc, who added he is currently “a Dortmund player, and he will train with us.” Full story.
09.25 BST: There’s been another DONE DEAL involving Stoke… This time, the Potters have brought in Jese Rodriguez from Paris Saint-Germain on loan for the season… Full story.
— Stoke City FC (@stokecity) August 16, 2017
09.15 BST: DONE DEAL Newcastle have announced the signing of Joselu from Stoke on a three-year deal… Full story.
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) August 16, 2017
09.04 BST: Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain may have been linked with a move to Chelsea, but Arsene Wenger at his news conference this morning seems determined to keep hold of him…
Wenger rules out selling Oxlade-Chamberlain. “Personally I want him to stay here for a long time.”
— Mattias Karén (@MattiasKaren) August 16, 2017
08.52 BST: Monaco midfielder Fabinho is still intent on joining Paris Saint-Germain this summer despite his club’s desire to keep him, RMC reports. The Ligue 1 champions have already rejected a €40 million bid from their rivals, and are holding out for €60m for the midfielder.
08.36 BST: The tug of war between Liverpool and Barcelona over Philippe Coutinho looks set to continue until the end of the transfer window and, according to the Daily Express, the Reds are demanding Ivan Rakitic as part of any deal should they lose the Brazil international.
08.20 BST: While Tottenham could be set to lose Danny Rose, another full-back could be incoming in Serge Aurier, according to the International Business Times. Spurs have apparently reached an agreement with Paris Saint-Germain for the defender, beating off competition from Manchester United for his services.
08.05 BST: Good morning all and welcome back to Transfer Talk… We start with a DONE DEAL in the A-League — Melbourne Victory have further bolstered their title-contending squad by signing former Argentina under-20 international Matias Sanchez. Full story.
Welcome the newest player to the Melbourne Victory family – @matysanch!
— Melbourne Victory (@gomvfc) August 16, 2017
Spurs to splash £40m on Sanchez
Tottenham will be doing some spending of their own in the final weeks of the window, and the Evening Standard believes they will smash their club record with a final fee of £40m to land Ajax centre-back Davinson Sanchez.
Manager Mauricio Pochettino is relying on the 21-year-old to enable him to switch between 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3 after losing faith in Kevin Wimmer.
Ajax says Sanchez is not for sale. He shone in the club’s run to last season’s Europa League final and would cost an initial £27m, with Spurs potentially taking the final price up to £40m in add-ons if they can pry him away from the Eredivisie.
Chelsea eye Soares for flexibility
Not content with just one new full-back, Chelsea are determined to bring in cover at right wing-back too, and the Mirror reports they are looking to pull off a £15m deal for Cedric Soares.
The Southampton star is interesting the Blues due to his ability to fit both in a back four and as a wing-back, which could allow manager Antonio Conte to switch his formations from time to time.
Despite Cesar Azpilicueta lining up as the right wing-back against Burnley, Conte clearly sees him as a centre-back now. Chelsea have also been linked to Joao Cancelo and Serge Aurier in recent weeks.
The champions have a long-standing interest in Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has the characteristics to thrive as a wing-back in a 3-4-3 or as one of the attacking midfielders behind Alvaro Morata.
Swansea to begin spree after Sigurdsson exit
Swansea are to begin spending big in the closing stages of the transfer window after securing £45m in a deal with Everton for Gylfi Sigurdsson.
Manager Paul Clement will finally be able to add quality to his squad in pursuit of Premier League survival and is immediately targeting the return of Wilfried Bony from Manchester City, with the Ivorian out of favour under Pep Guardiola.
Nacer Chadli is another target, and West Brom are ready to sell the Belgian a year after buying him from Spurs for £13m after a dispute with manager Tony Pulis. The Baggies will insist on £25m, though, according to the Telegraph.
The Swans would also like to bring Wales international Joe Allen to the Liberty Stadium, but Stoke are not prepared to sell and the player is believed to be settled with the Potters.
— Bologna have struck a deal for former Inter striker Rodrigo Palacio, with Gianluca Di Marzio reporting that the Rossoblu beat out Atalanta and Chievo for the Argentinian’s signature.
— After losing Andre Gray to Watford, Burnley’s search for a replacement has shifted from Leeds hit man Chris Wood to Deportivo La Coruna striker Florin Andone, reports the Mirror.
The Clarets have bid £11.8m for the Romania star, who scored 12 goals in La Liga last term.
— Finally, AC Milan will finish off a remarkable summer of signings by targeting Fiorentina’s Nikola Kalinic and Ajax wonder kid Kasper Dolberg in a £59.3m (€65m) double swoop.
Tuttosport reveals the Rossoneri will opt for two cheaper options now, rather than spend their entire remaining budget on Andrea Belotti at Torino, thus completing manager Vincenzo Montella’s initial overhaul ahead of a renaissance for the seven-time European Cup winners.