UEFA Women’s Champions League holders Lyon edged a quarter-final first-leg win against last season’s runners-up Wolfsburg on a night where Barcelona took control against LSK Kvinner and Slavia Praha pegged back Bayern München. Chelsea host Paris Saint-Germain in the other first leg on Thursday with the returns next Wednesday.
Slavia Praha 1-1 Bayern München
- A brilliant Kateřina Svitková finish from long range on her birthday cancelled out Fridolina Rolfo’s goal for Bayern scored almost immediately after her introduction on the hour. The 6,822 crowd was a record for a UEFA Women’s Champions League game game in the Czech Republic.
- An early Toni Duggan double was added to before half-time by a Mariona Caldentey penalty as Barcelona took control.
- A quarter-final record crowd of 17,840 at Stade de Lyon were delighted when Eugénie Le Sommer and Wendie Renard put the holders 2-0 up after 18 minutes. But Wolfsburg’s hopes of avenging defeats in the 2016 and 2018 finals as well as the 2017 last eight were boosted when Nilla Fischer headed in a free-kick with 26 minutes left.
Chelsea v Paris Saint-Germain
- Slavia or Bayern will reach their first semi-final.
- LSK are the only contenders in their first quarter-final.
- Lyon and Wolfsburg met in the 2013, 2016 and 2018 finals; OL beat Wolfsburg in the 2017 quarters.
- Chelsea and Paris have won all four of the previous quarter-finals between them. Paris’s Formiga at 41 is set to become the first player in her 40s to appear in a quarter-final.
Semi-finals: 20/21 27/28 April
1: Lyon/Wolfsburg v Chelsea/Paris
2: Slavia/Bayern v Barcelona/LSK
- One of Slavia, Bayern, Barcelona and LSK will reach their first final.
Final: 18 May 2019, Ferencváros Stadium, Budapest
Winner semi-final 1 v Winner semi-final 2
Contenders: tie by tie
Slavia v Bayern
Slavia Praha (CZE)
Previous best: quarter-finals (2015/16, 2017/18)
Quarter-final record: W0 L2
Key fact: Only remaining team from the qualifying round.
Bayern München (GER)
Previous best: quarter-finals (2016/17)
Quarter-final record: W0 L1
Key fact: Only German entrants not to win this competition.
Barcelona v LSK
Previous best: semi-finals (2016/17)
Quarter-final record: W1 L3
Key fact: Fifth quarter-final in six seasons, only Spanish side to get this far; coach Fran Sánchez was replaced in January by assistant Lluís Cortés.
LSK Kvinner (NOR)
Previous best: first quarter-final
Key fact: First Norwegian quarter-finalists since 2009/10.
Lyon v Wolfsburg
Lyon (FRA, holders)
Previous best: winners (2010/11, 2011/12, 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
Quarter-final record: W9 L0
Key fact: Their five titles and current run of three in a row are both records.
Previous best: winners (2012/13, 2013/14)
Quarter-final record: W5 L1
Key fact: Have faced Lyon in three of their four finals, winning in 2013 but losing in 2016 (on penalties) and 2018 (in extra time).
Chelsea v Paris
Previous best: semi-finals (2017/18)
Quarter-final record: W1 L0
Key fact: All three previous campaigns ended by Wolfsburg.
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
Previous best: final (2014/15, 2016/17)
Quarter-final record: W3 L0
Key fact: Last team to knock Lyon out of Europe, in the 2014/15 round of 16.