Wednesday’s latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC’s What’s Trending…
REAL MADRID: Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane hailed a “great performance” by his team after their 3-0 victory over Atletico Madrid in Tuesday’s Champions League semifinal first leg at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.
– Cristiano Ronaldo said Real Madrid’s progress to the Champions League final is not yet sealed after scoring all of his side’s goals.
ATLETICO MADRID: After his team were beaten 3-0 at Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone said his team were still capable of doing the “impossible” and reaching the final.
JUVENTUS: Gianluigi Buffon says playing in the Champions League makes him “feel young” ahead of Wednesday’s semifinal meeting with Monaco — but is wary of the challenge their in-form opponents will bring.
– There is “zero” chance of Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti joining Juventus in the summer, his agent has told Sky Sport Italia.
– Juventus midfielder Miralem Pjanic has told Sport Bild he twice almost joined Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.
EVERTON: Everton’s Aaron Lennon is receiving treatment for a “stress-related illness,” the Premier League club says, amid multiple reports that the winger was detained over concerns for his welfare.
– Dominic Calvert-Lewin is poised to sign a new long-term deal at Everton, sources close to the club have told ESPN FC.
MAN UNITED: Manchester United received a welcome fitness boost ahead of their Europa League semifinal first-leg trip to Celta Vigo when defenders Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones all returned to training alongside Paul Pogba on Wednesday morning.
– Marcus Rashford could end up paying the price if Manchester United sign Antoine Griezmann, Michael Owen has told Goal.
– Manchester City winger Nolito believes his former club Celta Vigo have the quality to beat United and reach the Europa League final.
LIVERPOOL: The father of the Stoke City schoolboy at the centre of Liverpool’s “tapping-up” row has told the Daily Telegraph that the Merseyside club wanted to make his son’s signing as part of the Joe Allen transfer in the opposite direction.
TOTTENHAM: Christian Eriksen is only focused on playing for Tottenham, according to his agent, who has distanced the midfielder from links to Barcelona.
PSG: The brother and advisor of Monaco midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko says reports of a meeting with Paris Saint-Germain to discuss a potential summer move are “false,” “without foundation” and “farfetched.”
PORTUGUESE LIGA: A striker of infamous Portuguese side Canelas has been banned for four years after kneeing a referee in the face.
LIGUE 1: Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette has said he will he will only leave his current side for a club playing in the Champions League.
SERIE A: Cagliari will not be punished for fans’ racial chants which prompted Pescara midfielder Sulley Muntari to walk off the pitch during his side’s 1-0 defeat in Sardinia on Sunday.
CRYSTAL PALACE: Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke is eager for his side to secure defender Mamadou Sakho on a permanent deal.
SUNDERLAND: Bournemouth are in pole position to sign Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe, sources close to the player have told ESPN FC.
DORTMUND: Bundesliga clubs Borussia Dortmund and Hoffenheim have played down reports linking their sporting directors with Arsenal.
INTER MILAN: Inter Milan defender Yuto Nagatomo has said criticism from fans following Sunday’s defeat to Napoli had made him feel like “a criminal.”
MLS: Major League Soccer on Tuesday handed out one-game suspensions to Real Salt Lake defender Chris Schuler and Atlanta United midfielder Yamil Asad for incidents last weekend.
– Major League Soccer has resumed its pursuit of Real Sociedad and Mexico international forward Carlos Vela.
UNITED STATES: The U.S. Soccer Federation is closing in on agreements to host its last two home World Cup qualifiers in Orlando, Florida, and Harrison, New Jersey.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.