Here are the latest stories for Wednesday.
MAN UNITED: Wayne Rooney is keen to remain at Manchester United until the end of the season and help the club pursue silverware on three fronts before considering a move to China, sources have told ESPN FC.
– Chinese Super League club Tianjin Quanjian have revealed they held transfer talks with Rooney but are more interested in signing Fiorentina’s Nikola Kalinic.
– Jose Mourinho says he has no intention of forcing Wayne Rooney out of Manchester United, adding that “you have to ask him” about a potential move to China.
– Mourinho has revealed why he left Luke Shaw behind for the Europa League round-of-32 second leg against St Etienne.
– Anthony Martial says his ambition is to stay at United “for as long as possible.”
LIVERPOOL: Adam Lallana has signed a new long-term contract at Liverpool.
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: Manchester City overcame Monaco in an eight-goal thriller at the Etihad Stadium, coming from behind to run out 5-3 winners in their Champions League round-of-16 first leg.
– Atletico Madrid opened their Champions League knockout stage with a 4-2 win away to Bayer Leverkusen.
MAN CITY: Sergio Aguero led Manchester City’s Champions League fightback against Monaco and the striker says it’s up to him to impress manager Pep Guardiola.
ATLETICO MADRID: Antoine Griezmann said he was proud to be part of his club’s history after becoming the Liga outfit’s leading all-time goal scorer in the Champions League.
ARSENAL: Arsene Wenger told fourth official Anthony Taylor he was “dishonest” shortly before pushing him against Burnley, according to the referee’s report.
– Alex Iwobi does not have an injury while centre-back Laurent Koscielny should be back in training soon after a hamstring problem, a club source has told ESPN FC.
REAL MADRID: Zinedine Zidane says he can count on Pepe “until the end,” but hinted that the defender may leave the club this summer.
TOTTENHAM: Spurs came close to signing Diego Maradona in the 1990s, according to the club’s former captain Teddy Sheringham.
– Mauricio Pochettino has accused his players of lacking focus in the 1-0 Europa League defeat to Gent last week.
JUVENTUS: Leonardo Bonucci has been dropped for Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Porto as punishment for an argument with coach Massimiliano Allegri towards the end of Friday’s 4-1 win over Palermo.
BORUSSIA DORTMUND: Lothar Matthaus says Mario Gotze will have to “go to China” if he cannot find his form at Borussia Dortmund.
– Jurgen Klopp says that he once looked into signing Tottenham Hotspur’s Christian Eriksen during his time managing BVB.
PREMIER LEAGUE: Ryan Giggs believes there are “too many foreigners” in England and they are stopping British coaches getting a chance to prove themselves.
FA CUP: Sutton have accepted the resignation of goalkeeper Wayne Shaw following an FA investigation over a potential breach of betting rules after he ate a pie on the substitutes’ bench during Monday night’s FA Cup tie against Arsenal, says manager Paul Doswell.
BARCELONA: Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza has said he believes Lionel Messi did not celebrate his late winner against Leganes because he was angry with the fallout from Barcelona’s Champions League thrashing by Paris Saint-Germain.
MLS: Swiss defender Jerome Thiesson has joined Minnesota United from FC Luzern to boost their back line ahead of the new Major League Soccer season.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.