The football world is awash with gossip. Transfer Talk is monitoring the whispers ahead of all the summer moves. Check out the latest deals and potential deals here.
TOP STORY: Real back in for De Gea
Manchester United might want to be on their guard — Real Madrid are lining up another attempt to lure David De Gea to the Bernabeu, says The Sun.
Madrid tried and failed to sign De Gea two years ago — reportedly due to a dodgy fax machine — but are hoping to be more successful this time around.
With Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane having decided he does not need a new outfield signing after the club’s failure to land Monaco’s Kylian Mbappe, goalkeeper De Gea has become his No. 1 target.
The La Liga champions are preparing an offer of around £46 million and are hopeful that will be enough to secure the Spain international’s signature two years down the line.
19.45 BST: After completed their first deal just a few hours ago, Tottenham are reportedly getting close to a second. The London-based club are reportedly in advanced discussions for Estudiantes defender Juan Foyth.
The 19-year-old is one for the future but Spurs face competition from both PSG and Inter for the young Argentine. Either way, it looks as if Spurs have awoken from their summer slumber.
19.35 BST: Swansea continue to make a push for West Brom’s Nacer Chadli, according to the Mirror. The Swans are seeking a replacement for Gylfi Sigurdsson and value the former Tottenham man at £15 million.
19.10 BST: Dale O’Donnell of the Sportsman claims that despite transfer rumours and last season’s loan to Germany, Stoke could end up holding on to Bojan Krkic. The former Barcelona man has had an up and down spell at Stoke and is reportedly drawing interest from Leicester City as a potential Riyad Mahrez replacement.
19.00 BST: According to the Mirror, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has been given the green light to sign Inter winger Antonio Candreva. Chelsea are severely short of depth at the moment and are reportedly seeking a central midfielder and a wing-back, with Candreva an option to the fill the latter vacancy.
18.50 BST: DONE DEAL Real Betis have confirmed that they have loaned German Pezzella out to Fiorentina. The 26-year-old started 36 games last season for Betis.
18.20 BST: Despite having already made eight new signings, Everton may not be finished just yet. Sources have told ESPN FC that Ronald Koeman still hopes to add another striker and winger to his list of new recruits at Everton.
The Toffees made Gylfi Sigurdsson their club-record signing earlier this week and have spent over £140 million already on new players this summer. Potential targets that have been linked with Everton include Borussia Dortmund’s Emre Mor and Arsenal duo Olivier Giroud and Danny Welbeck.Full Story.
18.05 BST: According to HITC, QPR have had a bid turned down of £1.8 million for Swedish youngster Saman Ghoddos. The twice-capped international currently plays in his native Sweden for Osterund, with the club reportedly looking for nearly double that sum for the player.
17.45 BST: DONE DEAL It took a while but Tottenham are finally on the board! Spurs have officially made former Ajax defender Davinson Sanchez their first signing of the summer.
The 21-year-old Colombia international has been heavily linked to Spurs for a few weeks now and has a signed a club-record deal through 2023 for what could reportedly total €42 million. Full story.
— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) August 18, 2017
17.35 BST: DONE DEAL The deals keep rolling in as Valencia have completed the signing of former Arsenal defender Gabriel Paulista.The 26-year-old Brazilian previously played with Villarreal in Spain and returns after two rather underwhelming years with Arsenal.
17.15 BST: DONE DEAL West Ham have completed a contract extension with defender Winston Reid through 2023.
“I am happy here and my family are happy here so it was an easy decision, once we could get it sorted,” he said. “I enjoy being here, it’s quite simple really. Generally, people are pretty easy going and it kind of suits me the way people are around here. I’m a pretty easy going guy, so I just fit in.” Full Story.
16.55 BST: DONE DEAL Juventus have announced the signing of PSG and France midfielder Blaise Matuidi. The 30-year-old had been with PSG since 2011 and amassed over 200 appearances for the Parisian club.
— JuventusFC (@juventusfc) August 18, 2017
16.30 BST: Gylfi Sigurdsson is not allowing the fact that he has become Everton’s record signing to be a cause of pressure, telling reporters: “It is not up to me how much the club has paid for me. I put the pressure on myself to play well for the team, create and score goals for the club. That’s all I need.”
16.25 BST: Even more transfer activity at Manchester City? Coach Pep Guardiola isn’t ruling it out, telling a news conference: “We are going to see how the market finishes until the end of the season.
“If we have to stay with the players we have right now, we will be happy. If someone comes, we will be happy too.”
16.20 BST: Away from Coutinho for a moment, but not away from Liverpool — West Bromwich Albion are interested in Reds defender Mamadou Sakho and could be prepared to spend £30m on him, according to the BBC.
16.10 BST: More on the Coutinho news — various reports in the British media are putting the Barcelona bid at somewhere between £114m and £118m.
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) August 18, 2017
16.00 BST: Liverpool have rejected a third bid from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho, a source has told ESPN FC.
The approach was immediately rejected by Liverpool, who remain adamant that Coutinho will not be leaving Anfield this summer.
Coutinho handed in a transfer request last week and has not featured in Liverpool’s first two games of the season.
15.50 BST: Manchester City forward Patrick Roberts is set to seal another loan deal with Scottish champions Celtic, according to reports in Scotland.
15.45 BST: Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez has said he will have to move some players on to make room for new additions to his squad, telling a news conference: “Obviously we have a lot of players we have to move out if we want to move some in. If we can move players out it will be easier to bring players in.”
15.10 BST: Crystal Palace boss Ronald de Boer has described RB Leipzig’s former Nottingham Forest winger Oliver Burke as “a very young, promising player,” suggesting he could move for him as he looks to strengthen the Selhurst Park squad.
14.45 BST: Persistence is likely to pay off in Burnley’s pursuit of Leeds striker Chris Wood, says the Mirror, which reports that they are set to sign him in a £15m deal having failed with an earlier £12m offer.
14.40 BST: DONE DEAL Shrewsbury Town have signed striker Stefan Payne, who played for them on loan last season, from Barnsley for an undisclosed fee.
14.30 BST: Fulham are being linked with a move for Porto defender Rafa Soares.
14.00 BST: Watford head coach Marco Silva could make Benfica winger Andre Carrillo his eighth signing of the summer, the London Evening Standard reports.
13.50 BST: DONE DEAL Norwich City have signed Lincoln City defender Sean Raggett for an undisclosed fee, with the 23-year-old returning to the Imps on loan until January.
— Norwich City FC (@NorwichCityFC) August 18, 2017
13.45 BST: Juventus could make three more signings before the end of the transfer window, general manager Beppe Marotta has said.
Marotta, speaking at the club’s annual team presentation at Villar Perosa on Thursday, confirmed that Blaise Matuidi is set to sign on Friday and said further additions could arrive in defence, midfield and attack.
13.30 BST: DONE DEAL Eintracht Frankfurt have completed the signing of Kevin-Prince Boateng on a free transfer.
Earlier this week, Boateng terminated his contract at Las Palmas and returns to the Bundesliga on a three-year deal.
— Eintracht Frankfurt (@Eintracht) August 18, 2017
12.55 BST: Huddersfield manager David Wagner has said the club have ended their attempts to bring in Barnsley defender Andy Yiadom.
12.45 BST: Former AC Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko has said the club’s summer spending spree is “chaotic.”
Milan have made 10 new signings this summer, spending more than €200 million, with at least one more addition expected before the window closes.
12.30 BST: To recap on today’s Diego Costa developments: The Chelsea striker has told ESPN Brasil he is being priced out of a move to Atletico Madrid and says he may have to consider other options this summer.
12.25 BST: DONE DEAL Derby forward Nick Blackman has joined Maccabi Tel Aviv on a season-long loan.
12.00 BST: Manchester City have completed the signing of Nigeria striker Olarenwaju Kayode from Austria Wien, with the 24-year-old immediately going on loan to Girona.
— Girona FC (@GironaFC) August 18, 2017
11.55 BST: Tottenham Hotspur have agreed a deal that could be worth over £40 million to sign Ajax centre-back Davinson Sanchez, sources have told ESPN FC.
Spurs were not expecting to announce the deal until the weekend, but an agreement is in place subject to the formalities of the defender obtaining a work permit and completing a medical.
11.45 BST: Hull City have turned down a £12m Swansea bid for midfielder Sam Clucas having already rejected offers of £5m and £10m from Burnley, the Hull Daily Mail reports.
11.30 BST: DONE DEAL Swansea City’s England Under-21 midfielder Matt Grimes has joined League One side Northampton on loan.
— Northampton Town (@ntfc) August 18, 2017
11.20 BST: Borussia Dortmund midfielder Gonzalo Castro has accused Ousmane Dembele of “damaging our team.”
Dembele, 20, a target for Barcelona, went on strike last week and was suspended by Dortmund after missing training without permission.
11.15 BST: Kevin Prince-Boateng is undergoing his medical at Eintracht Frakfurt:
— Eintracht Frankfurt (@Eintracht) August 18, 2017
10.45 BST: The Telegraph reports that West Ham “are beginning to grow frustrated” in their efforts to bring in William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon, with the clubs still “£5.5m apart” in their valuations of him. Meanwhile, Sunderland are interested in signing the Hammers’ on loan.
10.30 BST: More from West Brom and Tony Pulis, who has confirmed that West Brom have already turned down an offer for Manchester City target Jonny Evans.
City have bid a reported £18 million for Evans and are expected to return with an improved offer for the former Manchester United player.
10.20 BST: Nottingham Forest could make a move for Leeds midfielder Liam Bridcutt, who has yet to play in the Championship this season, the BBC reports.
10.10 BST: Barcelona vice-president Jordi Mestre has reassured fans that Lionel Messi will soon sign a contract extension.
Argentina superstar Messi agreed terms on a new deal until 2021 last month, with the club saying it would be signed in the near future.
10.00 BST: Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce has said he would be interested in signing Southampton striker Sam Gallagher, telling a news conference: “It’s something we’re looking at.”
09.40 BST: Arsenal defender Gabriel Paulista is on the verge of joining Valencia in a reported €12 million deal.
Gabriel arrived in Valencia on Thursday, and Superdeporte reported that the 26-year-old will sign a five-year contract.
09.30 BST: West Bromwich Albion manager Tony Pulis has confirmed the club have rejected an offer from Manchester City for defender Jonny Evans, telling a news conference: “We don’t want to sell Jonny and we don’t need to sell him. It would have to be a very, very good offer. Jonny understands the situation. He is happy here and wants to get on with his football.”
09.20 BST: Queens Park Rangers have made an offer for Irish club Linfield’s Northern Ireland Under-21 forward Paul Smyth, according to reports.
09.00 BST: Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has asked why any player would want to leave amid continuing speculation that playmaker Philippe Coutinho will join Barcelona.
Klopp said: “I don’t see a lot of reasons for each player to leave the club at the moment, and that’s just in general.
08.40 BST: Brentford boss Dean Smith has told reporters he is not concerned about the prospect of losing defender Harlee Dean to Leeds United, saying: “If a bid comes in then we’d have to deal with it and we have people in place to come in as well.”
08.30 BST: Nice could attempt to bring Timothee Koloziejczak back to the club after the defender was unable to establish himself at Bundesliga side Borussia Monchengladbach, footmercato.net reports.
08.25 BST: Full back Erik Durm, 25, is set to leave Borussia Dortmund for Stuttgart, with reports in Germany saying a fee has been agreed.
08.20 BST: To Italy, where Juventus general manager Beppe Marotta has said there will be plenty of arrivals over the final weeks of the window, adding that “the only position where there won’t be any changes is in goal.” Marotta added that Chelsea target Alex Sandro “has asked us if he can stay and we are delighted by that, which is why we firmly reject any offer Chelsea make right now. “
08.15 BST: Atletico Madrid midfielder Gabi has said the club want to bring striker Diego Costa back from Chelsea but added that Costa is in “a complicated situation.” He told reporters: “From what I know, Atletico Madrid want to bring him back, and he wants to come — but Chelsea are in the middle and we cannot enter there.”
08.00 BST: Tottenham are closing in on a move for Ajax defender Davinson Sanchez, Sky Sports reports, saying the North London club have had an offer that could amount to £40m, accepted by the Eredivisie side.
Perisic to Man United might still be on
United had looked to have given up the ghost in their pursuit of Inter Milan’s Ivan Perisic, but the Daily Mirror claims that is not quite the case.
Perisic has been a United target for most of the summer, but the Red Devils appeared to have been put off by Inter’s £48 million valuation of the Croatia international.
However, United executive vice chairman Ed Woodward has met Perisic’s agent, Fali Ramadani, in recent days to try to push through a deal, with Ramadani also having held talks with Inter officials.
With the Premier League club’s original £39 million offer still on the table, there remains hope that an agreement can be struck for Perisic to move to Old Trafford before the window closes.
Man City return with second Evans offer
News of Manchester City’s interest in Jonny Evans might have taken many by surprise, but that isn’t stopping Pep Guardiola from doing all he can to get his man.
City have already seen one bid of £18 million for the former Manchester United player rejected by West Brom, but they’re set to return with an improved offer of £22 million, the Daily Mirror claims.
If a chance to work under Guardiola is not enough to entice the centre-back, City are hoping a £140,000-a-week contract will do the trick, more than doubling his current wages.
City see Evans as an ideal acquisition because he would bolster their defensive options as well as help them comply with home-grown player rules, though Eliaquim Mangala might have to be offloaded to make some room.
— Barcelona will continue to “fight” to sign Liverpool’s wantaway star Philippe Coutinho, the Daily Telegraph says.
The tug of war, as we expected, is set to continue as Barca line up a third bid in excess of £90 million for the Brazil international.
— Inter Milan are searching for a new centre-back before the transfer window closes and hope that man will be Shkodran Mustafi, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.
After struggling in their attempts to prize away Mangala from Man City on loan, Inter have initiated contact with Arsenal over Mustafi, although the Gunners are unlikely to want to part with a player they spent a reported £35 million on last summer.
Tom is a freelance sports journalist. Follow him @Tom_Sweetman